Followers

Monday, December 13, 2010

Geminids meteor shower tonight!


It's time for one of the biggest meteor showers of the year! The showers should start to peak around 11 PM EST and should be visible until dawn, and it is estimated that we may see 50-80 meteors per hour, and at certain peaks up to 120 per hour! 

From what I can gather from Wikipedia and NASA, it seems as though the Geminid meteor shower originates from an extinct comet known as 3200 Phaethon, while the radiant (or point where the meteors seem to originate from) seems to be in the constellation Gemini. However, the meteor shower should be visible across all of the night sky. 


Where I am in Wisconsin, it is currently -2 degrees F, so while the sky is clear and perfect for viewing this spectacular light show, I will probably be able to bear the cold for only a short amount of time. Luckily, with today's technology, it is possible to not only watch tonight's meteor shower on a live video feed on NASA's website, but the website also features a live audio feed and questions about the shower will be answered via live web chat by NASA meteor experts. Click here to check out these live feeds!

I have listened to the live audio of this meteor shower a few times in the past hour or so, and so far it's hard to know what I'm hearing... so if you hear something distinct, let me know! The live chat starts around 11 PM EST and I'm a little curious to learn more about this phenomenon. 

Enjoy the show!

39 comments:

  1. It's cold and overcast here, I'd love to see the shower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. prolly wont see it in kentucky. also clouds and snow everywhere

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too much city light by me.... Oh well. I guess I'll have to catch it the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 bad cant see this from vancouver canada

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it's clear and dark, you should be able to see the showers anywhere but Antarctica!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too much light pollution and too many clouds over here :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow. I'll take a look, but I doubt I'll be able to see it in Cali...stupid smog. lmao Thanx.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stayed up to go watch it but the sky is covered in clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you should have posted about this earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  10. clear here but I stole them before they hit the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was rainy here so I couldn't get to watch them. The good part is that I did watch the Perseids this summer with my girlfriend. It was amazing! Whoever never got to watch these while laying on the ground for an hour is simply missing something!

    ReplyDelete
  12. very rare events but beautiful these meteor showers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for the link. I'm always too lazy/cold/drunk to go out and look.

    ReplyDelete
  14. watched a meteor shower over the summer. one of the meteors lit up the night sky and detonated audibly in the atmosphere. it was spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So that's how someone in the city can watch these wonders...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a Gemini... I'll be keeping an eye out, thanks for the heads-up

    ReplyDelete
  17. I heard about this. It's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Last night was supposed to be the peak, I'm guessing there will probably be more than average still tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I couldn't see anything myself. Maybe later tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. damn i wish i wish it wasn't raining, i love a good meteor shower

    ReplyDelete
  22. I stood outside for a few minutes just now and saw three or four great meteors tonight. Nothing like last night, but still pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  23. dam wish i saw this earlier i wouldve watched

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm on the lookout, thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just stumbled on your blog , looks like fun

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dang, I couldn't see any. I tried watching for a bit...but didn't see one. Thanx for the post though.

    ReplyDelete
  27. i was there, was superduperawesome because there where clouds :(

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've never seen a meteor shower :(

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for posting this. It’s exactly what I was looking for!

    ReplyDelete