Followers

Monday, November 22, 2010

I will be homeless in 8 days

As I mentioned in a previous post, I recently graduated with my MA in Psychology. When I graduated, my Graduate Plus loans ran out and I had to move out of my apartment. Luckily, I have some great friends who have let me live with them for free for the past 2 months in exchange for keeping the house clean. My time here is quickly coming to an end, however, and by the 1st of December, I will be homeless.

These past two months, I have been trying to find jobs. I have applied for therapist jobs and serving jobs to literally everything in between. I have also been doing Craig's List cleaning gigs to make a little money for food.

I had a second interview at a great job about 2 weeks ago that went really well. I have been anxiously waiting to hear back from this job and will hear back by Thanksgiving. If I get this job, I need to find a place to live here in the city. If not, I am going to be crushed and I don't know where I will end up.

So, I put an ad on Craig's List looking for a couch to sleep on and a shower to use for $100 per month and in exchange I will clean and do chores for them. I have never done something like this before, have any of you been in a similar situation and survived??

Let me know if you have any tips for finding cheap temporary housing and ways you have survived during difficult time.

18 comments:

  1. Cheap temporary housing? Impossible to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep your head up... No matter how bad things get, things do always get better.... A man much wiser than myself once told me that hard times don't last but hard people do.... You're going to be just fine

    ReplyDelete
  3. i couch surfed out of high school. although, it was always with people i knew. i dont really trust strangers lol.. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey sometimes we all go through crazy experiences. My one friend lived in her van for a few months and did fine. I hope you get that job though. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At $100 a month that will be hard to find. Try couchsurfers. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still live with my parents so I don't really have tips at all, but good luck finding something!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately I don't have any tips in that regard. Sorry. This economy does suck. Actually you might want to read about couch hopping. Good luck on the job interview. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm sorry, i don't have any tips to help you. it must be a really hard time for you

    ReplyDelete
  9. :( hope everything will be better for you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just keep your head up and keep working. You'll get through this and look back and laugh. We all go through rough times... Just remember that it could be worse! You could be in a terrible country with zero chance of getting anywhere. Stay strong dude! you'll pull through

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damn, that sucks.

    Hopefully they call you :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got laid off 3 weeks ago, out of the blue. Still getting unemployment pay, but it drops of pretty drastically in about 6 weeks. Just keep plugging away, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a really scary situation, and I'm sorry to hear that you're in it. I hope that you manage to find something soon (I'm also looking for a job, but am lucky in that my family is near enough that I can rely on them for support).

    Good luck! I hope you get the job you interviewed for!

    ReplyDelete